Annual Meeting in St Andrew's Church Rooms, Stogursey, TA5 1TQ. Followed by Tea - donations please.
3pm: Visit to St Andrew, Stogursey, TA5 1RG. St Andrew is a big complicated old church. The present church was built by one of William the Conqueror’s henchmen, William de Falaise in the 1090s. It was given to the Benedictines of Lonlay, near to Falaise. That church comprised a nave that has since been replaced, the two transepts and a chancel. Both transepts and chancel ended in a triple apse arrangement. Of this original building we still have the crossing and transepts. The apses were demolished between 1175 and 1180 when the chancel was extended to form a choir and sanctuary for the monks. At the same time, the transepts were extended eastwards so that the new choir was flanked by two side aisles, separated by a 2 bay arcade. Thus we still have features from two distinct phases of Norman building. 3.45pm: Visit to Fairfield House, Stogursey, TA5 1PU, home of one of our Patrons, Elizabeth, Lady Gass, DCVO.
Booking essential by Sat. 20th April with Bob Croft, email: email@example.com, tel: 01823 278805 (work).