All three churches have received grants from SCT. There are a small number of steps to the churches. Our visit starts at the church of St. James the Great, Winscombe, BS25 1BX, where there is a large carpark. In a lovely, elevated location, the church has 12th- or 13thC origins but the present building dates from
the 15thC. It was restored and a new chancel added in 1863. The rebuilding of the chancel was undertaken by William Burges. Of particular note is the stained glass – both a remarkable collection of mediaeval windows as well as more recent work by William Burges. We then drive to St. Bartholomew, Ubley, BS40 6PJ. Originally built in the 13thC. Although not pewed, the church has a number of interesting fixtures and fiixngs including a 13thC font. Our last stop is the church of St. Michael the Archangel, Compton Martin. Described by Pevsner as, ‘perhaps the best Norman parish church in Somerset’, it still has a Norman nave, chancel and north aisle and some very fine architectural decoration, as well as a twisted column and a very rare columbarium (a pigeon loft). Tea here – donations please.
Book with Rob Harding, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 0117 924 0333.